Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Great Tragedy


                               A Great Tragedy

                                        By

                                        Zoe

I’ll never forget…

It was always there for me, like a great and faithful friend. Every morning I’d wait, full of anticipation and the expectation of being completely satisfied. I know what you might think. It was just an inanimate object, lifeless and cold. But it was a thing of comfort for me. Of course, it wasn’t the only thing in my world, but it gave me life, at least in a sense.
Let me spell it out more clearly for you. Every morning I would get up from my comfy bed, stretch and then come downstairs. After the usual morning constitutional I patiently waited, always calm, but also with the tremendous eagerness seething inside. I would sit and stare up at it as everything was prepared. First a little of this, then a little of that and a smidgeon more of this on top. When it was finally done I could never contain myself. I would jump up and down and then race to my designated spot.
After what seemed to be ages my dear friend would be set down in front of me and, finally, I could relax and commune with it in a way few people really understand. Afterwards we both felt satisfied, the emotional letdown was usually so great that I would have to settle down and take a nap. My treasured companion would go away for the rest of the day, but I knew we’d be back together the next day and the next and the next. As a matter of fact I couldn’t imagine any day when we would not be together.
Then came the great tragedy, the day we were parted forever. I remember it like it was yesterday. The morning was darker than usual, perhaps it was the clouds or maybe it was the time of year; there was thunder in the distance. All I know is that it was pitch black outside and the lights inside were dimmer than normal. My whole body shook as I was filled with a sense of dread and foreboding, but I wasn’t sure why. I felt a little better when my dear friend was brought out, looking as always, smooth and sleek. And, just like every morning, I sat patiently and waited. The were others there, sort of like a great fraternity of servant/friends, but those others didn’t matter to me. I only had eyes for my faithful companion.
I’m not sure how it really happened. All I know is I closed my eyes just for a second, nothing more than a blink and, in that brief moment, I was abandoned. A clumsy slip of the hand, followed by a crash and then a shattered existence. There were bits of glass and food scattered everywhere; nothing could be saved.
This can’t be I thought. How can I survive, surely I’ll starve… Pull yourself together. Take slow deep breaths. Maybe it’s all just a terrible nightmare. That’s right, pinch yourself and you’ll wake up and everything will be Ok.
But, it was real and nothing could stop the ache I felt in my heart … and stomach. All I could do was lie on the floor and let out mournful wails of sorrow. Only a miracle could save me from everlasting despair.
And, like a light from heaven, a miracle occurred. It was only few minutes, although at the time it was more like an eternity of suffering. A replacement came, quickly and silently. It was shiny and full to the brim with my favorite food. I couldn’t contain myself and ran up to greet it. First I nuzzled it with my lips and then I almost devoured it, finally licking it all over until its shiny metal gleamed like a mirror. It was at that moment I knew that this new and wonderful companion would be with me forever.
Stainless steel won’t break like glass.


Zoe is a six year old, slightly overweight Norwich Terrier.

2 comments: